4 Benefits of Dual-Language Immersion Programs - South Arkansas Sun

While roughly half the global population speaks at least two languages, only about 20% of U.S. residents can say the same. Dual-language immersion programs, in which academic content is taught in two languages, help children become bilingual and offer a host of other benefits.

In the first model, 90% of instruction is conducted in the target language during the first year, with the remaining 10% taught in English. With each academic year, the ratio of instruction in English to instruction in the target language increases slightly, until instruction is 50/50.

Research has shown that dual-language programs are an effective way to educate English-language learners, but they also offer benefits for native English speakers.

Here are just a few reasons to consider dual-language immersion: – Biliteracy is good for your brain. – Learning a language is easier for young children. – English learners succeed while maintaining their native language. – Students build strong social connections and cultural awareness.

Biliteracy Is Good For Your Brain Second-language learning can be difficult. But subsequent benefits outweigh early problems. Numerous studies suggest that people exposed to two languages at a young age outperform their monolingual peers in adolescence and maturity.

Learning a Language Is Easier for Young Children Hernandez feels it's preferable to study a second language when young. Exposure to a second language before puberty enhances the likelihood of proficiency.

Traditional school programmes may put English-language learners at a disadvantage. Immersion is preferable for natural Spanish speakers than a monolingual English school, where they may fall behind in English but keep their Spanish skills.

Students Build Strong Social Connections and Cultural Awareness Students from both groups help each other learn the other language in dual-language immersion programmes. Hernandez says shared learning helps pupils bond.

Watch more